p>
Make your own Countdown Clocks

Monday, January 5, 2009

The Challenge of Diversity and Building a More Civil Society

Introduction: Building a civil society is a complex task. It requires that individuals, groups of individuals, and institutions make a commitment to tolerance, respect, cultural sensitivity, compromise, honesty, and self-control. It also requires that these entities maintain a willingness to listen and consider new perspectives and participate with the common good of society in mind.

Civil societies are difficult to nurture because there are so many forces that can tear them down. Some of these negative factors include ethnocentrism, xenophobia, prejudice, discrimination, racism, intolerance, indifference, hostility, attitudes of superiority, alienation, and stereotypes.

Below are four examples of contemporary problems of diversity that often impede the development of a more civil and inclusive society in the United States. Imagine that you are in the situations described and thoughtfully explain how you would feel. Would you address the problem? If so, how? Please add your answers to comments section. The first two members to submit answers will receive a prize. Also, the member with the most intriguing, unique, and/or thought provoking answers will win a prize.

________________________________________
Scenario I
You are an elderly woman who has been asked by your granddaughter to co-sign for a car loan. You’re happy to be able to help her and agree to go to the bank with her. The bank representative meets the two of you, listens to your granddaughters request for a loan and then hesitates and responds to your granddaughter, “I’m sorry we can’t accept your grandmother as a co-signer because of her age.” He has not addressed you, checked your references, or your age. He is not aware that you have been a faithful customer and have a substantial amount of money in his bank. You feel he is discriminating against your granddaughter and certainly you due to your age.
________________________________________
Scenario II
You are a customer with limited English speaking ability. You have called for some information about a product you’re interested in ordering. You reach a customer service representative who responds by saying the following. “Look, I can’t understand a word you’re saying. You need to have someone else call in for you.” He then says to you, “Why don’t you learn to speak English or just go back to where you came from?” You are offended and you also think this is inappropriate customer service behavior.
________________________________________
Scenario III
You are a customer who uses a wheelchair. You have been brought into the store by your friend, an able-bodied person. You want to purchase a phone for your office. The customer service consultant comes over to help you but instead of talking to you, she looks at your friend and says, “I’m sure you’re looking for a portable phone.” Then looking back at you she continues, speaking a little louder, “We’ve got a great sale going on that would be perfect for someone in your situation.” There is nothing wrong with your hearing and you are offended that the consultant did not talk with you directly. You also did not appreciate the assumption that you wanted a portable phone.
________________________________________
Scenario IV
You are an African American man waiting in a long line to register for a conference. You arrived wearing your casual clothes since you’ve been traveling quite a distance. As you approach the registration table the volunteer looks up, sees you, and quickly removes her purse and places it under the table. Her discomfort was obvious. You are very angry at her behavior based on some negative assumptions you believe she is making.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Scenario 1: The bank representative seems out of line. I'd ask for a manager or walk out and find another bank with better customer service. Also, if you have a substantial amount of money there, wouldn't it be in their best interest to keep it there?

Scenario 2: I'd get the person's name, find someone to call back for me and ask for the manager. This is completely inappropriate.

Scenario 3: I would address the consultant right there and ask her to speak to me, since it's my phone. If she continues in this manner, ask for another consultant or a manager.

Scenario 4: Instead of being angry, I'd probably ask her why she put her bag away. Maybe I reminded her of a situation in the past that was horrific and this is not related to my race. In this case, I would be making possibly wrong assumptions about her beliefs.

Justin said...

Scenario I:

Address the banker directly: ask for his name. Next, I would ask him for his age. Then I would ask whether or not he thinks he is qualified for the job. More than likely, he will say yes, and then I will ask so does age really matter upon who is qualified and what is considered too young and too old. I would mention that he does not know me and that I do not know him and hasty judgment should not be made.

Lastly mention the length of time I have been with the bank and my credentials. If my granddaughter had any of her own or if she has established credit, mention that as well.

It’s also understandable that with today’s economy, loans are difficult to get and his job is on the line; bad judgments will have a profound effect on not only him but his family if he is the breadwinner of the family.

Scenario II:

I would ask for his name. Most customer service lines are monitored, so the rep will probably give his name. Either way, I would talk to the manager. I would ask whether or not such behavior is the standard for the company and is this the way a customer should be talked to. If the manager doesn’t sympathize with my point of view, I would just say good day and take my business elsewhere.

If the manager does, I would ask whether or not the customer rep I spoke earlier with is having an issue or problem with his personal life. People have their off-days and so its important to take all this into consideration.

Lastly I would ask the manager to rectify this problem and ask his or her opinion on what should be done.

Scenario III:

I would ask for his name. I would remind him that I am in a wheelchair but am in no means deaf. As a salesman, he should apologize without me demanding an apology. If I was very irate, I would take my business elsewhere. Its understandable that since I am handicapped, a portable phone would be more convenient but that I am perfectly capable of using a normal phone.

No one uses portable phone these days anyway. I would just ask for a cell phone instead


Scenario IV:

Unlike a customer service rep or a worker at a company, a volunteer would have had less training. Asking for a supervisor would make the volunteer resentful so it would be better to conduct the registration as if nothing was wrong. It is important to be affable and friendly. Prejudices are often subconscious and actions are often occurring without conscious thought. Negative media, enforced by instinctive fear of the unfamiliar cause people to feel uncomfortable around certain people. It is therefore, my job to counter this. It seems like a losing battle as everyone seems to focus on the actions of only one individual out of a hundred that reinforces the stereotype.

Anonymous said...

Scenario I:
Just as much as I would hate for someone to make assumptions on my abilities based on factors such as my age, I would not make the assumption that the bank representative was declining to do business with us purely based on this only. There may be loan limitations put in place by banks for services to seniors, where in the event of their death (with likelihoods higher than younger individuals)the security of their signature on a loan contract may become null; hence, making this a high-risk loan to the bank. Similar examples of this would include the health, life-insurance industries charging higher rates for older individuals.
However, there is no excuse, from my point of view for the bank rep. not to address me directly. In the end a logical explanation, free of discriminating assumptions would be necessary in order for me to continue patronizing this bank.

Scenario II:
To a point I would feel guilty about my limited English abilities since a person's capacity to understand what I am saying is not his/her fault. However a person's attempt to communicate with respect goes far beyond just speaking the same language. I would have definitely made a formal complaint to this company specifically about this individual rep. and the company's lack of promoting tolerance with their workforce (if it so happens not to exist).

Scenario III:
I would immediately leave the store and search out another place to purchase a phone on my own.

Scenario IV:
If the volunteer's discomfort was obvious as stated in this scenario I would have said, "Don't worry I don't want your purse" so that she would, at least realize what her actions meant to me.

Anonymous said...

Scenario I:
Just as much as I would hate for someone to make assumptions on my abilities based on factors such as my age, I would not make the assumption that the bank representative was declining to do business with us purely based on this only. There may be loan limitations put in place by banks for services to seniors, where in the event of their death (with likelihoods higher than younger individuals)the security of their signature on a loan contract may become null; hence, making this a high-risk loan to the bank. Similar examples of this would include the health, life-insurance industries charging higher rates for older individuals.
However, there is no excuse, from my point of view for the bank rep. not to address me directly. In the end a logical explanation, free of discriminating assumptions would be necessary in order for me to continue patronizing this bank.

Scenario II:
To a point I would feel guilty about my limited English abilities since a person's capacity to understand what I am saying is not his/her fault. However a person's attempt to communicate with respect goes far beyond just speaking the same language. I would have definitely made a formal complaint to this company specifically about this individual rep. and the company's lack of promoting tolerance with their workforce (if it so happens not to exist).

Scenario III:
I would immediately leave the store and search out another place to purchase a phone on my own.

Scenario IV:
If the volunteer's discomfort was obvious as stated in this scenario I would have said, "Don't worry I don't want your purse" so that she would, at least realize what her actions meant to me.